To avoid a split vote and the possibility of two acting nominations this year, Searchlight Pictures will promote Andrew Garfield’s performance as televangelist Jim Bucker in “The Ice of Tammy Faye” in support of the actor’s consideration.
After receiving the biopic bow and modest box office at the Toronto International Film Festival, its chances of an Oscar seem apparent, but the film, directed by Michael Schwalter, could make a roaring return to the season. Garfield’s co-star Jessica Chastain, who plays his wife Tammy Faye, will be in the lead role, and could be a central part of a competition that includes Olivia Coleman (“The Lost Daughter”), Penelope Cruz (“Parallel”). Mothers “) and Kristen Stewart (” Spencer “).
The 38-year-old actor, who praised the cover DiversityThe TIFF issue last month was one of the most exciting years of his career. Zia Coppola’s distinctive features “Mainstream” and “The Eyes of Tammy Faye” have been directed by Lynn-Manuel Miranda since the beginning of the year, with “Tick, Tick … Boom!” (Also probably “Spider-Man: No Way Home”). A potential role.)
Miranda is positive for early rumors (and a new trailer) for her role in the upcoming Netflix musical, suggesting that she may be part of an already competitive Best Actor team, including Benedict Cumberbatch (“The Power of the Dog”), Peter Dinklage (“Sirano”). .) And Will Smith (“King Richard”). If he is able to cut for both movies, he could join an elite list of 12 actors to get two acting nominations in the same year in the last 93 years.
- 1938: Fay Bainter – “White Banners” and “Jezebel” (wins)
- 1942: Teresa Wright – “The Pride of the Yankees” and “Mrs. Miniver” (won)
- 1944: Barry Fitzgerald – “Going My Way” (won in support; the only example of an actor nominated in two categories for the same role)
- 1982: Jessica Lange – “Frances” and “Tutsi” (wins)
- 1988: Sigourney Weaver – “Gorillas in the Mist” and “Working Girl”
- 1992: El Pasino – “A Woman’s Scent” (wins) and “Glengari Glen Ross”
- 1993: Holly Hunter – “The Piano” (Won) and “The Farm”
- 1993: Emma Thompson – “Remains of the Day” and “In the Father’s Name”
- 2002: Julianne Moore – “Away From Heaven” and “The Hours”
- 2004: Jamie Foxx – “Ray” (wins) and “Parallel”
- 2007: Cate Blanchett – “Elizabeth: The Golden Age” and “I’m Not There”
- 2019: Scarlett Johansson – “Wedding Story” and “Jojo Rabbit”
No stranger to the award circuit, he received critical acclaim for his role as Eduardo Savarin in David Fincher’s “The Social Network” (2010), for which he received nominations from BAFTA, Critics’ Choice, and the Golden Globe. “Winter Bones”). After his brief stint in the “Spider-Man” franchise, he returned to the role of Desmond Dos, the conscientious objector of the Catholic priest Rodriguez and Mel Gibson’s “Hackso Ridge” in Martin Scorsese’s brilliant “Silence” (2016). ”(2016), for which he received his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor. Chastine has received two Oscar nominations in her career – Supporting Actress for “The Help” (2011) and Actress for “Zero Dark Thirty” (2012). He also co-produced “Tammy Faye” with Kelly Carmichael, Gigi Pritzker and Rachel Shane.
What will the campaign strategy pay for Garfield in the end? Only time will tell.
“The Ice of Tammy Faye” also lists the following categories for BAFTA consideration: Director (Schwalter), Adaptive Screenplay (Abe Sylvia), Supporting Actress (Cherry Jones), Supporting Actor (Vincent D’Onfrio), Cinematography (Michael Sapphire) (Mary Joe Marke, Andrew Weisblum), Production Design (Laura Fox, Barbie S. Livingstone), Costume Design (Mitchell Travers), Makeup and Hair and Sound