Facebook removes Trump’s George Floyd video after copyright allegations – variety3 min read
Following claims of Facebook’s copyright infringement on content in the segment, Facebook, like Twitter, has pulled down videos centered on the assassination of George Floyd, which was uploaded during Donald Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign.
The social media giant removed the video of the campaign – in which Trump on Friday condemned both the riots and riots across the United States in the wake of Floyd’s death and the resulting deaths from both Facebook and Instagram. It came after the copyright owner of a Trump video image reported the infringement to Facebook.
A Facebook spokesperson said: “We have received a copyright complaint from the creator under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and have removed the post.” “Companies that share original art on Instagram expect to have the right to do so.” Unable to provide information about who filed the DMCA takedown notice.
For now, YouTube is still hosting a copy of the video, which has garnered more than 330,000 views since it was posted on June 3. Twitter joked about Trump’s copyright infringement video on Thursday.
The Trump campaign video, titled “Healing, Not Disgusting,” features images and videos of Floyd and memorials to the deceased – including a mural in Minneapolis, next to the city police where Floyd died near the grocery store. The mural was created by multiple community artists, including Jenna Goldman, Cadex Herrera and Greta McLean.
Trump’s video also shows crowds of protesters and rioters and people affected by the riots. A voiceover video of Trump from a recent statement provided details. Trump said, “The memory of George Floyd is being disrespected by rioters, looters and anarchists.
Drawing on a video of Trump’s 2020 campaign violating Facebook, the company, along with its own staff, criticized Trump for not taking action since last week, where the president said of the protests in Minneapolis, “Any difficulty and we will take control, but looting has begun.” If so, the shooting begins. Thanks! “
Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg has previously said that the “looting and shooting” post did not violate Facebook’s policy of prohibiting violence, and said the agency did not want to “fact-check” politicians.
This was in stark contrast to Twitter’s approach, which hid Trump’s tweets for violating his policy of praising violence. Trump was upset by the veracity of two of Twitter’s correct tweets about the mail-in ballot, and last week issued an executive order to address Twitter’s legal immunity on a platform. This week a technology policy firm filed a lawsuit against Trump over the order, arguing that it violated the First Amendment.
In a post on Friday, Zuckerberg acknowledged the response and outlined seven areas that are investigating how it could potentially change how Facebook deals with controversial issues. These will cover three areas: specific policy decisions, decision-making ideas and racist justice, and progressive initiatives to engage voters.
In relation to the situation, particularly with Trump’s post on “looting and shooting” comments, Zuckerberg said, “We will review possible options for violating the content without binary or excluding it-down. The decision. However, he added,” In general, I’m concerned that this approach may lead to us being editorial in content we don’t like, even if it doesn’t violate our principles, so I think we need to be very careful. “