Harvey Weinstein will be sentenced on February 23 in Los Angeles on three counts of rape and sexual assault, a judge said Monday.
Weinstein, 70, faces up to 18 years in prison on the charges, in addition to the 23 years he is already serving for his conviction in New York. His lawyers had initially said he would be sentenced Monday, but they asked for a delay last week to give them more time to file a motion for a new trial.
Weinstein was convicted in court on December 19 of raping a model identified as Jane Doe 1. He is expected to give a “victim impact statement” at the sentencing hearing.
Jurors deadlocked on three counts related to two other victims and acquitted him of charges related to a fourth woman.
The prosecution has yet to decide whether to retry Weinstein on three counts that resulted in a hung jury. Outside court, prosecutor Paul Thompson said there was no time frame yet for such a decision.
Weinstein was brought to court Monday in his wheelchair and returned in a prison jumpsuit. During the trial, he wore a suit whenever he was in front of the jury.
He spoke briefly, agreeing to waive the statutory deadline for his sentence and a new trial. The defense has until January 31 to submit its proposal for a new trial, and to submit its position on the sentencing. The prosecution has until February 14 to respond.
Lench said he expected to be sentenced on Feb. 23