The Venice Film Festival is still for September, the governor of Venice has confirmed – variety2 min read
The Venice Film Festival will go ahead as planned this fall, the region’s governor confirmed on Sunday.
Veneto Governor Luca Jaya said the world’s longest running film festival, scheduled for September 22-12, is still going on. The official’s confirmation comes just days after Venice Biennale, which oversees the film festival among several other fine arts events, moved its biennial of architecture to 2021, but retained the film festival’s fall dates. Previously, architecture and film festivals were meant to overlap.
Zia said on Sunday that the construction of the required pavilion had been postponed due to complications. The film festival will move forward, though he warned that there will probably be fewer movies this year.
Venice conducted a wide-ranging survey of film industry executives in early May to ask for concerns and suggestions about the advance version, as reported Diversity. The letter, signed by Venice’s artistic director Alberto Barbara, indicated how many filmmakers, actors and producers were willing to take part in the fest.
“We know that if all of you are not willing to use the festival to give a fresh start and vision to keep the film alive even in this difficult time, it will not be easy to plan the excitement,” Barbara wrote. The letter also asked producers and sales agents “about the potential to bring (talent) with invited films.”
Clearly, the organizers – who were expected to make a decision by the end of May – are now enthusiastic that the fest has been able to proceed according to plan, although public health protection measures should be considered, although the look of the event will be different this year. The festival has not yet commented on plans for September.
Venice had previously announced that it would not go on a virtual route, but its industry survey made it clear that it was considering a “virtual screening room, using a secure online platform” for those who could not participate but had previously been recognized. In January, Fest announced that Cate Blanchett would serve as jury president.
Italy will reopen its borders on June 3 for European travelers following mandatory segregation restrictions for domestic travel. The country most affected by the coronavirus in Europe has slowly come out of the lockdown in recent weeks, although 32,7855 people have been killed so far.